Play by Play
Designed By Free CSS Templates
Anna Belknap
Posted by
Holly
| Thursday, May 04, 2006
I'm sitting here, watching a rerun of Law & Order Special Victims unit when who should pop up into the episode but our country girl turned New Yorker... The episode name is Manhunt...She plays a victim. Thought you'd want to know....
3 comments:
I like her and I think that she is a very good actress. I've really never noticed a timing issue with her lines, nor have I noticed a problem with her line delivery. I like how she gets excited about small breaks in the case, and how she catches people off guard when she's trying to mentally work through the case. I hope that makes sense.
IMO, I believe people are harder on her because she replaced a well liked character and they want to see her fail, they want to see Aiden brought back. They don't like that Mac fired her or why she was fired...etc...They look for any reason to be critical of her. I also think that because the writers haven't delved into her character and given us background information (why she came to NYC, why she became a CSI, or what her supposed "dark secret" is...etc), that we only see her as one-dimensional. SH was the first semi-Lindsay centric episode. Hopefully we'll see more character development in the future.
I liked Aiden, I really did and I was very upset when she left. However, it was Vanessa Ferlito who chose to leave, nobody forced her to. I think that sometimes, that fact gets lost.
As to the reviews, I really don't read them or if I do I don't really allow them to hold a hold lot of weight because everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them. My opinion is that she's a good actress and her character has quirks that we're not going to fully understand until the writer let us in further to her background.
I don't know if this really answers your question, and I'm sorry if it doesn't.
Dream and I have discussed Anna's performances ad nauseum recently. She is a little bit wooden at this point and not all together convincing as Lindsey. We think the problem may not be Anna but the fact that TPTB have not come to any concrete conclusions about Lindsey's character to this point. How do you accurately and naturally portray a character when you have so little to work with and when it seems like her motivations and passions change week to week.
Vanessa Ferlito had the sheer force of Aiden's character to play with - there was no wishy-washy-ness about who Aiden was. She was a straight-up, cynical, hardened female New Yorker. Lindsey on the other hand, doesn't have that same force of character. She's supposed to be a gentler presence in a hard New York, but she's not supposed to be so gentle that she's a wuss, but she's not supposed to be so strong that she's cold, but she's not supposed to be so weak that she can't do the job but she can't be so efficient that she doesn't get along with the rest of the team. How do you work with that? I'm not an actor, but I think I'd be confused.
The other thing that I'm sure Dream would say is that they've tried to make Lindsey just 'naturally' fit into the rest of the team. There was very little friction surrounding her abrupt appearance. There hasn't been any snippy-ness over her 'replacing' Aiden, even from her good friend Danny, I might add. I'd almost rather that the rest of the team be indifferent to her and only have Mac on her side (he did hand-pick her, afterall). Have her fight to have them warm up to her. It seems as though they tried to do that at the beginning and then caved to the fangirls' demands that she and Danny be hooked up.
Okay, this is even longer than Elainhe's! LOL
I know I'm quite behind on my Anna comments...I'll blame that on a new boyfriend, no internet access and a new job...yikes...I feel the need for a nap already! LOL
I won't repeat everything Krista said except to say a huge 'ditto!' and she was right about what she said I would say (dizzy yet?) we do share a brain after all.
I want to give Anna the benefit of the doubt and don't necessarily want to attack her acting ability based on the inconsistency of her character. I hope next season they give us more to go on with her and I do hold out hope for this even with my cynicsm about her character right now. I'll hopefully have a long drawn out review after the finale tomorrow.
Suffice to say that while I enjoy Kristine, she is a sweetheart, sometimes her reviews are a bit harsh...*shrugs* I like Anna even if Lindsay is a bit rough around the edges for me. :)
Did that make any sense? I think I need more coffee! :D
Post a Comment